Guitar Repair Apprenticeship
This advanced guitar repair apprenticeship is a course designed for the many students who are moving on from primary training programs or luthiery schools. We’ve found that most students graduating from luthiery programs need some additional coursework and training in the area of general and extensive repair work, high-level setups, and the business aspects of the repair shop. We provide a perfect program for these students upon graduation– or as a supplement to your studies.
Come enjoy beautiful Flagstaff for three full days of hands-on training in our repair facility. (You will arrive one day early for orientation.) If possible, you should bring at least two of your own instruments to use as practice pieces for repair work. You are encouraged to bring your own tools, or some of your favorites at least. However, you will have access to all tools and machinery in our facility.
The cost of the apprenticeship includes lunch for all three days. We have hotel accommodations ready for you within walking distance of the store.
What You will Learn:
- Advanced setup and fretting techniques
- Advanced intonation theory on acoustic & electric guitars
- Hand shaping professional-grade saddles and nuts
- Advanced repairs, including structural and finish work, neck resetting, re-fretting, bridge work
- Electromagnetism, Guitar Electronics, mods and diagrams
- How to make hide glue, and more
- ALL MATERIALS, including strings, bone blanks, small parts, etc.*
- Handouts, notes & specific article links
- Lunch provided all three days
- Local transportation if necessary
- A huge amount of knowledge to begin your career
*Does not include hardware, like tuning keys, pickups or bridges.
For the complete curriculum please contact Ryan. Payment arrangements can be made. We require half down to reserve your weekend. The remainder is due on the first day of class.